Thursday 11 September 2014

LIPSTICK EVOLUTION.

Growing up, I thought I would be that girl who could never wear lipsticks. I had massive lips, dark skin, and make up would never be for me, even when my Mum glammed me up for cutesy family events, and bought me all sorts of funky eye-shadows to play with, and made me up for Prom. I just never imagined myself being the 'make-up' kinda girl. Going to a girls school, I thought it was dumb putting any make-up – even for the bus ride home wear the lads from the boys school would see my bare face. I didn't want to be one of those girls who sat for half an hour putting on make up during the last lesson instead of listening to the teacher. But as I got older, I saw the benefits of a little make up, when applied correctly. Cue a photo of me as a youngster...

 Me in Year 10. I thought it was cool. Oh yeah!

I try to get this image out of my head. The ultra winged eyeliner that was unnecessary. The poorly applied foundation. Unruly eyebrows, and pose that would make any one who lived the 'emo' faze of their teens cringe. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, taking inspiration from my heroes of that day like Hayley Williams and Gerard Way. But as I have grown, I've learnt to take better tips from people will skin tones like me, Women like Alek Wek kept things simple and stunning. Lupita Nyongo is a goodness who has never failed in looking fabulous. As much as I like thinking that standing out from the crowd by being the only Black 'Emo' girl in my school, I decided to take advice from these female greats!

It started with a simple red.

Summer of 2011. Red Lipstick in Malaga from Miss Sporty.

This was a cheap drug-store buy from Miss Sporty. It was affordable, it was red, and it did amazing job. I felt that by just keeping it simply, but adding so daring colours to my lips meant that I looked like I was making a massive effort, even if I still didn't really know what I was doing. It transformed my smile, and gave me hope that maybe, make-up could be my thing. I had gotten loads of compliments from it, and from their, my love began to blossom. 

I experimented with other drug store buys, bought a few lip products from Topshop, enjoying staining my Starbucks mugs with all sorts of colours, until I met my holy grail of lipsticks. I wanted the perfect red lip. Red was sultry, and sophisticated, it was me. It went with everything, and I wanted it perfect. It was what I started this journey with, and when this product came into my knowledge, I knew I had to have it. The One

I'm sure you've all heard of Ruby Woo from MAC. I didn't think I was that girl. Me? Wearing MAC? Never. Mostly because I'm a student and couldn't justify paying that much for one lipstick. I searched for dupes, but was never satisfied. It wasn't perfectRuby Woo kept floating around in the back of my mind, telling me that we were meant to be. I asked my Mum about it, and she said that Ruby Woo looked perfect, especially for someone with dark skin. Together, we ventured to the MAC store, crammed with people who seemed to know so much more about make up than me, the little novice who felt somewhat out of place. I couldn't be in the grace of Ruby Woo! But I sucked it up, and looked at the sample... it was perfect. The perfect red, all Matte with it's cute and classy black packaging. It might as well have been glowing at me. I tried it out, staring at myself in the mirror. It was meant to be.

 
Ruby Woo and I.

I bought it and haven't regretted it. And since then, I've been a lot more daring with my lipsticks. Flat Out Fabulous was next to be added to the MAC collection, and it is fabulous. I'm growing quite a collection I never thought I would have, and I'm proud of it. I'm love splashing my face with colour, and being creative with my lips. I suppose the thing to take from this, if anything, is to look for inspiration in people like you if you have no clue, then make it your own. Buy shades that suit you, especially if you have dark skin. Don't settle for shades not suited for you. Branch out, research, and maybe you're find a ruby that makes you woo. (What an awful pun!)

Goodbye silly novice, hello lipstick addiction!!!

Peace Out,
Thulani x

P.S. Lipstick collection post? Maybe?  

No comments:

Post a Comment