Sunday 21 September 2014

“There's something happening with the Ass”



*Warning, there are some profanities in this post!!*

I think it's almost fate that I waited a few more days before posting this blog!! I aimed to have it posted on the 17th, but was still editing it when Jennifer Lopez's new music videoentitled Booty was released, which has basically summed up my thought process. There is something happening with the Ass!!



The title of this post is inspired by one of my heroes, Samantha Jones from Sex and the City, who made this observation in one episodes when her and the girls were discussing whether a certain act was 'okay' or not (not anal by the way). Even though this episode was aired in 2001, 13 years ago, Samantha raises a great point here, and it is still relevant today! 

New's flash: The Ass is In!! It is so fashionable at the minute. Women twerking all day every day showing off the different ways they can shake and stretch their gluteus'. Twerking is the new Zumba. You've got Jason Derulo asking them girls with the 'big fat butt' to Wiggle. And then Nicki Minaj's Anaconda polarising the world as she rallies her 'bitches with a fat ass in the f**king club'. And the J-Lo's Booty where there are a lot of ass shots in the video. Big Butts are very popular these days. Have you seen Iggy Azalea's! It's huge (is it even real?!?!).

I'm not sure how to react to all this love for the big fat butts. I used to love dancing with my own assets as a 90s kid whenever 'Baby GotBack' would come on. That is my jam. Some days, I'm proud of my booty and I'm happy to flaunt my 'healthy butt'. Other days, I'm ashamed and want to hide it. When the likes a stunning model like Cindy Crawford has allegedly said that she wouldn't leave the house if she had an ass like J-Lo, no wonder I was self-conscious about mine! I distinctively remember as a child, one of my best friends laughed at me because I had a big butt. I must've been eight or nine when she teased me. I went crying straight to my Mum, asking why I was cursed with a big bum! She taught me some good life truths that day. She said that I was beautiful the way I was, and then started naming off some of my childhood heroes who have fabulous asses. Beyonce, Serena Williams and J-Lo to name but a few. I remembered those words, and chose never to be upset about my butt again, even if people stared at it when I decided I would wear a short skirt and made comments like the girl at the beginning of Baby Got Back, or if some of TopShop's jeans wouldn't fit me because they didn't accommodate my booty. I was proud of my ass, but I was weary. Weary of people who would make sly comments about my butt behind me, some saying that I shouldn't wear leggings, and that I should hide my butt.

But these attitudes seem to be shifting – if the Top 40 Charts are anything to go by. Nowadays, big butts seem to be more acceptable! Which is great! However, with a big butt comes big responsibilities. With the butt becoming so fashionable these days, I am expected to Twerk like my sista's in the club. Unfortunately I have no such skill and look more like Miley Cyrus' poor attempt. Scratch that, I am a better twerker than Miley Cyrus, and I will revel in that! But I can't dutty whine, bump and grind, and just because I have a black booty, doesn't mean I should be expected too. I much prefer the electric slide and the occasional 'whip my hair back and forth'. There's always that fear, I suppose, that my butt is 'sexualised', which upsets and terrifies me, especially when I see people checking it out, but I suppose it's something you just have to live with, especially with butt's being so 'in'.

There is of course, the constant debate of whether I answer Nicki Minaj's call. Am I one of the 'bitches with a fat ass in the f**king club' who should tell them 'skinny bitches' to f**k off. I don't wanna be, but then who am I? It's a difficult concept to grasp. I know a lot of people have hated Nicki's song because she slams skinny girls. And I get it. For a large part of my life, I've been shamed for having a big butt. I can't do anything about it, I was born this way, and I can't work off the muscle in my butt!! But, there's something almost comforting in how big butt's seemed to praised at the minute! And maybe that's what hurts me when skinnier girls complain about Anaconda. For me, this is the first time someone has openly maybe been on my side of the big butt's, but the down side surely can't be to exclude other girls in the club. I will dance and groove with anyone, regardless of how big your booty is.


So screw fashion trends. Once upon a time, my hips didn't lie and I wanted to dye my hair Rihanna's pinky red. It's Ass's this year, and maybe next year, breasts will be in. I suppose I'm not happy with the idea that big butt's become a fashion trend, because after a while, when the novelty wears off, the world will move on, but I can't. I have my big ass for life, and I have to live with that.

Nevertheless, I will revel in our lime light! I love that now there are women out there who aren't hiding there butts and are singing and celebrating them! I will shake what my Mamma gave me, because I'm proud of it. When this phase passes, I will always believe Snoop Dog's interesting way of words, and tell myself that I will have a big future behind me.



Peace Out!
Thulani x

p.s. Disclaimer: I'm not agreeing with Nicki's opinions about skinny girls. I think all women are beautiful, and we should all flaunt what we got.

p.p.s. As a side not, in We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus, you'll not that that she 'sings':“to all my home girl's with the big butt's, shaking it like we're in a strip club'. Does anyone else find this problematic? I do. She ain't my home girl, she hasn't got a big butt, and why does such a feature need to be associated with the strip club?! Gah.

p.p.p.s. Songs included in this post:

Sir Mix Alot – Baby Got Back
Nicki Minaj – Anaconda

Jennifer Lopez - Booty

No comments:

Post a Comment